PROJECT TITLE: ADVANCED MONITORING SYSTEM OF URBAN VEGETATION DYNAMICS AND PREDICTIVE ASSESSMENT OF CLIMATIC AND ANTHROPOGENIC STRESSORS IMPACTS ON BUCHAREST METROPOLITAN AREA FROM SATELLITE AND IN-SITU BIOGEOPHYSICAL DATA – BUGREEN
Coordinator: National Institute of R&D for Optoelectronics INOE 2000
- Faculty of Physics- University of Bucharest
- Eurosense Romania SRL
Period: 19 November 2012 – 18 November 2015
Project director: Maria Zoran
Project team: –
Description: BUGREEN Project comprises advanced multidisciplinary researches within ANCS STAR (Space Technology and Advanced Research) Program objectives of Earth Observation including GMES in order to attend at Living Planet Programs of European Space Agency and GEOLAND-2 project objectives. Project will provide an advanced geospatial monitoring system of urban vegetation dynamics, spatio-temporal evaluation framework of anthropogenic and climatic stressors impacts on different urban/periurban test sites of Bucharest metropolitan area.Will be assessed the major regime shifts during the last decades, evaluation of current state and trends assessment for the next years. Research will be based on comprehensive information provided by in-situ monitoring of biogeophysical/climate parameters and derived from long time-series satellite remote sensing data (NOAA/AVHRR, MODIS, ENVISAT MERIS, SPOT, Landsat TM/ETM, IKONOS, Qickbird, METEOSAT MSG 2-3 and future Sentinel missions), their integration in complex data base, and spectral climatic/ecological developed models at different scales, validated as analytic methods needed for urban vegetation “hot spots” areas location.Multifunctional role of urban vegetation will be revealed by: short and long-term responses to a fast changing environment, with negative impact on ecosystem and social services.
- Building a multiparametric data base for urban systems Bucharest (in-situ biogeophysical and spectroradiometric, satellite remote sensing, demography, morphology etc).
- Development of methods and models for analysis of derived geospatial biogeophysical parameters changes of urban vegetation due to extreme climate events (heat waves and Urban Heat Island effects, etc).
- Development of proper methods that exploit ESA Sentinels missions.
- Design of spatial/spectral/climatic Environmental Quality Indices to assess anthropogenic and climate stressors impact on urban vegetation;
- Development of an Integrated Urban Vegetation Model for assessment and forecasting of climate and anthropogenic impacts on urban vegetation changes for selected urban/suburban areas and mitigation measures.
- Dissemination of project’s results.
- Improve scientific knowledge base to support the implementation of the European Vegetation strategy Framework Directive and ESA GMES objectives.
- Selection of research urban/periurban test sites
- Urban multiparametric database building for Bucharest. Selection of proper woks methods. Multisense geospatial and in situ urban vegetation cover monitoring. Quantifying of atmospheric-climate-air pollution-vegetation-urban growth interatioc. BUGREEN Web page implementation.
- Design of spatial/spectral/climatic environmental indices to describe urban vegetation dynamics.
- Integrated Urban Vegetation Model for assesment and forecasting of climate and anthropogenic impacts on urban vegetation changes.
- Design sets of mitigation criteria/indices. Results integration in frame of ESA Program.
Contributions to the STAR programme objectives:
The concept of BUGREEN project has emerged from the needs to strengthen the Romanian contribution to European and Global Earth Observation System, and to support international cooperation for the identifying and limitation of the major changes due to climatic regime shifts and anthropogenic forcing with negative impacts on urban vegetation cover.
During life time of the project in frame of tasks and activities will be used different satellite products like as NOAA AVHRR (NDVI and LST), MODIS (Enhanced Vegetation Index (EVI), NDVI, FAPAR; MERIS Global Vegetation Index (MGVI) and Terrestrial Chlorophyll Index (MTCI) or MGVI, SPOT vegetation, future SENTINEL missions and products delivered in frame of GEOLAND -2/CSP project for biophysical parameters (Biophysical Parameter Core Service).