PROJECT TITLE: Adaptive-Charger Technology for Space Battery Systems
Coordinator: EUROPEAN BUSINESS INNOVATION & RESEARCH CENTER S.A. – EBIC –
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT IN MICROTECHNOLOGIES IMT – BUCHAREST
- SC ROMAERO S.A.
Period: 29 November 2013 – 21 December 2015
Project director: Dipl. Eng. Simion Dascalu
Project team: Human resources involved: over 20 researchers or engineers (140 person-months)
Description: ADAPTIVE-CHARGER is an electronic intelligent system (EIS) with product-by-design concept to adapt itself to the badery’s specific charging needs, using sensors, that AdapGve Badery Charger can adjust the rate of charge regime accordingly with the accuracy of a quantum charge raGo for Li-Ion specific badery’s electrode materials.
The proposed ADAPTIVE-CHARGER can effecGvely charge a wide range of the Li-ion baderies sizes, without any overcharging, overheaGng and/or loss of the dielectric, thereby extending the badery life-cycle as system, also execute that recharge cycle aier each shallow discharge, Gme absorpGon will be much shorter, more efficient in terms of energy power response and, thereby is increasing that space badery’s life.
This project proposes a highly flexible innovaGve AdapGve Badery Charger with an electronic circuit that opGmizes the efficiency for a space badery charging. The EIS – Electronic Intelligent System includes a memory that stores Lithium-Ion / Li-polymer badery-specific charging characterisGcs, and to determine desired charging voltage and desired charging current based on measured environmental condiGons, such as the badery temperature, and all charging characterisGcs. The badery temperature is measured with the innovaGve sensors ideally embedded in each badery cells, which provide a highest level of redundancy required by ESA for the deep space missions.
The project is addressing the research topics of the STAR Program 2013 as regarding the mulGdisciplinary and interdisciplinary scienGfic technology research and this is a boundary research in the area of future space power systems offering a very narrow performance and high compeGGvity for the emergent Romanian space industry.
- The AdapGve Badery Charger project is addressing the research specific objecGves of the STAR Program 2013 regarding the support and increased capacity of parGcipaGon to several ESA operaGonal programmes such as but not limited to the increasing the mission endurance of scienGfic roboGc exploraGon, satellites for telecommunicaGon, and human space acGviGes.
- This project ADAPTIVE-CHARGER is focused on the developments for the advanced power systems in space technologies, systems and space equipments very well suitable for all aeronauGcs developments and other industrial acGviGes.
- The proposal aims which demonstrate a clear long-term vision that is far beyond the state of the art for space technology, and is engaging within the high-risk innovaGve ideas rather than refinement of current scienGfic approaches. Project is expected to bring experience on the advanced technologies addressing research problems in the space domain by the SME and local aerospace industry.
- WP1 – SYSTEM DESIGN SPECIFICATION AND SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE DEFINITION – period 8 months;
- WP2 – CONCEPT ADAPTIVE-CHARGER MODELS and SYSTEM’s TECHNOLOGY – period 6 months;
- WP3 – SYSTEM VIRTUAL 3D MODELS AND BASIC FUNCTIONAL 3D SIMULATION – period 6 months;
- WP4 – RESEARCH RESULTS IPRs PROTECTION – period 6 months;
- WP5 – SYSTEM MODELS MANUFACTURING AND LABORATORY TESTING – period 6 ?months;
- WP6 – DISSEMINATION AND EXPLOITATION PLAN – period 24 months;
Contributions to the STAR programme objectives:
Expected impacts and added-value by addressing the objecOves listed in the STAR programme 2013:
- specific niche idenGficaGon for research, technology and industry at naGonal/EU and internaGonal levels;
- is able to define and idenGfy future project proposals for parGcipaGon to ESA operaGonal programmes: PROBA III, PRODEX, NEOSAT has been idenGfied and the project results will be further developed for use;
- encourage developments and promoGon of the naGonal capacity for research, educaGon and industrial in the areas of space acGviGes, aeronauGcs industry, security and connected domains;?- is improving partnership (cooperaGon and interacGon model) between the research enGGes and industry; – interdisciplinary developments of research experts at the highest levels – conGnuing formaGon/pracGce;
- is seqng bases for top scienGfic producGon and increasing the up/down stream research quality levels;
- sustainable development and improved diversity for research applicaGons from space domain to industry areas and specific to naGonal aerospace industry, increased educaGon, security and social applicaGons.