PROJECT TITLE: Academy Compositional and dynamical modeling of near-Earth asteroids - COD-NEA
Coordinator: Astronomical Institute of the Romanian Academy (AIRA)
Period: November 2012 - November 2015
Project director: Nedelcu Dan Alin
Project team: A team of 7 researchers and one engineer.
Description: COD-NEA project aims to characterize the compositional and physical properties of some of the most important near-Earth asteroids (NEA) using muti-wavelength (visible, infrared), multi instruments (photometer, spectometers) techniques and to explore thei dynamical evolution by means of massive, parallel numericla integrations.
- Compositional modeling of NEA
- Dynamical modeling of NEA
- Photometric and spectroscopic observations of near-Earth asteorids.
- Implementation and testing of an extended precision long term numerical integrator.
- 2Myr numerical integration (past and present) of 1000 NEA (mostly PHA).
- 2Myr numerical integration (past and present) of 2000 NEA (mostly PHA).
- The census of Romanian astronomical infrastructure.
- Testing of Romanian astronomical infrastructure.
- Integration of the relevant astronomical infrastructures.
Contributions to the STAR programme objectives:
Aiming to obtain critical physical and compositional information needed to assess the damage potential and impact risk of NEA this program is situated within the objectives of the ESA Space Situational Awareness (SSA) initiative.
The expected results of the project should strengthen the integration of the Romanian planetilogy community into ESA scientific programs such as MarcoPolo-R space mission.